[NAFEX] coons in mulberries

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 14:33:33 EDT 2009

I don't mind sharing my mulberries with the birds, but raccoons are another
story.  They can eliminate any harvest for you, partially by knocking off
green berries as they go for ripe ones.  They also break a lot of smaller
branches (like the small bear they resemble).

Usually a 24" height of alluminum flashing stapled to the trunk of the tree
(annually just before fruit begins to ripen) will stop them from climbing
tree-  unless you have a dog-sized tom, in which case you may need 32".