[NAFEX] Quick-Brix refractometer

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Mon Feb 23 16:53:31 EST 2009

There are many different refract available in both digital and standard.  I
have been using a standard TY'MUP manufactured by Adcock Mfg.  for many
years that runs about $50.  A digital would be nice, but I really can't
justify the price difference for a little bit of convenience.  Some digitals
have a small pin that sticks into the fruit to take the measurement.  Those
are the most expensive.  Frankly, when I am testing fruit, I cut it open
anyway to check the seeds. Once I cut the fruit open, I just quarter it and
squeeze some of the juice onto the lens and take the reading.  The
additional $300 to $400 just to be able to stick it into the fruit just
doesn't make sense.

Sper Scientific makes the same one I use for $50 - $95.  The $95 model is a
certified one and the $50 is not certified.  There are also many different
digital models available ranging in price from $250 to over $500, depending
on manufacturer.  The cheaper digitals require the juice to be squeezed into
a small port.  Still, for $200, I'll stick to the traditional model.

If you are in the market for a refractometer, you have to be sure that it is
a Brix refractometer and that the % scale is the correct scale for fruit, 0%
to 32%.  Here are some links for Sper Scientific:

http://www.sperdirect.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?&category=Brix&start=10
http://www.sperdirect.com/cgi-bin/item/300010/Refractometers/Sper-Scientific-Sugar-Brix-Refractometer-w-ATC

Hope this helps!

Dennis Norton