[NAFEX] How many berries

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Mon Feb 16 23:38:24 EST 2009

I guess I'm going to agree with most of what other people have said.

I grow red raspberries in zone 6, eastern MA.  I have an established
bed of "Fall Red" (probably from Miller, although I got them from a
friend) and I just planted some "Caroline" last year.  The friend also
grew "Heritage", and I think that "Fall Red" has superior flavor.  I'm
looking forward to "Caroline", which is supposed to be even better.  I
bought my "Caroline" from Nourse, and I love their catalog.  It's
aimed at commercial as well as home growers, and it's the only catalog
I've ever seen that gives a comparison chart of key characteristics of
cultivars and says that some of the varieties have mediocre flavor, or
whatever.  The raspberries I bought from them last year didn't thrive,
but they cheerfully asked if I'd prefer replacements last year or this
coming spring, and all the other stuff I've bought from them has been
quite healthy.

I have birds and squirrels and deer and other critters.  One year the
squirrels got into the raspberries, but then I got a cat who liked to
chase squirrels, and now even though the only outdoor cat I have
doesn't bother with prey that large, they leave them alone.  If birds
take the raspberries, they leave plenty for me.  They are the only
fruit I DON'T actively protect from wildlife, and I get decent crops
from my 4 plants.  (If I had room, I'd have a lot more plants.)

I manage my raspberries for two crops.  The first crop comes in July,
and the second in early September.  This is perfect for me, as I tend
to be out of town for a lot of August, and I like that I don't have
unpicked berries tempting the critters.  The berries continue to fruit
until we have a hard frost, although the crop gets smaller and less
sweet as the season wanes.  I mulch the raspberries heavily with
shredded oak leaves (I mow them off my lawn) and add a lot of nitrogen
(corn gluten) when I feed my lawn in the spring.  I have been
irrigating them during fruiting season since I noticed that I tended
to get fruit a couple days after each rainstorm.  The extra water
makes a big difference in my crop.  Other than picking, pruning (twice
yearly), mulching, and watering, I give them no special care.  I
consider them my most successful crop.

You should definitely taste some yellow and purple raspberries before
planting them.  They taste different from the red ones.  I like the
purple raspberries, and find the yellow raspberries bland.  I prefer
red to either purple or yellow, though.  Also, yellow raspberries
attract bees and yellow jackets.  I have bees all over the flowers as
I pick the red raspberries, but they are never on the fruit.  When
I've picked yellow raspberries there were bees everywhere, and I had
to be careful to avoid grabbing a fruit with a bee on it.

Ginda