[NAFEX] red elderberry

hans brinkmann hans-brinkmann at t-online.de
Sat May 31 04:24:02 EDT 2008

Hallo Ernest,

you are really very tough...
I think the taste has been horrible and of course Stephan is very right:
All green and unripe parts are containing poison (Sambunigrin) - not to
be eaten by animals.
Not so the ripe fruits - to be eaten from animals...
The seeds are poisonous (many, many other seeds from used fruits or
vegetables are poisonous too!)
but usually undigested by birds or removed by humans.
Or everything is cooked or boiled or used as e.g. sweet BAKED elderberry
flowers...
Since many thousands years, elderberries are eaten by humans.
Industrial production of Elderberries is very important and expending at
EU and probably at Canada and USA too.
Your D. Adams and L. Burbank made already nice selections in 1920.

ciao
hans