[NAFEX] Synsepalum dulcificum

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar parmarch_mnd at dataone.in
Fri May 30 13:07:44 EDT 2008

Yes I know it well.  I saw it for the first time in 2004 at Fairchild
Tropical Botanical Garden, Miami, Florida.  Then I also saw it at the house
of a friend.  It is really very amusing.

I got some seeds and tried to grow a plant in my garden here in India.  But
I could not succeed as the seeds did not germinate.  I tried two times more
but failed.  I think the seeds do not germinate easily.

But it is very interesting.  After you eat a berry of miracle fruit, you do
not taste sour at all for about one hour.  Sour varieties of apple taste
sweet.  Many sour citrus fruits taste sweet as you do not taste sour at all.

In India, we have a plant called GUDMAR (Gymnema sylvestre).  If you chew
2-3 laves of this plant, you do not taste sweet at all for an hour.  If you
put a spoon of sugar in your mouth, it feels completely tasteless as if it
is sand.

There is a fruit amla (Emblica officinalis) in India.  If you eat a fruit
which is otherwise very astringent and sour, and then drink water after a
minute or two, the water tastes sweet.  So they say in India that, REAL
TASTE OF AN AMLA FRUIT AND THE REAL VALUE OF A WISEMAN'S ADVICE IS KNOWN
ONLY AFTER SOME TIME.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
www.fruitipedia.com