[NAFEX] Scion wood

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 11 17:02:26 EST 2008

I like the bench-grafting timing too.  Had great success last year, I think because third time of trying to everything correct is a charm.  But, I prefer grafting onto rootstocks which have been growing in the nursery for a year, and I do this in May (w/ dormant scionwood stored in refrig, double-bagged, regularly inspected.)  I have light & rather poor soil, so it's not practical to expect rootstocks received & planted in mid-spring to have enough roots for water uptake to mend a decent graft in May or June.  So for me it's either bench-graft timing, or the 2-year plan.

Today I'm looking at deep snow and zero temps (s.WI, almost Muffy's neighbor).  I could collect scionwood, but much rather wait for a few days of 30s when the snow will melt some, easier to hike from tree to tree and to do the bagging & labelling.

What might not be intuitive is the need for good labelling, & double-checking your labelling, and keeping good records & nursery charts.  Being obsessive at first gives you the option of discarding unnecessary info later, rather than later wondering what the heck is what.

Also, for storing scionwood, you want to keep fruits, older or rotting veggies, and stratifying or germinating seed in refrigerator other than the one holding the scionwood.