[NAFEX] grafting wax for topworking cleft grafts

Karen Tillou arboretum at homeorchardsociety.org
Mon Feb 11 12:02:38 EST 2008

i use strips of old tractor inner tube to wrap and secure the grafts,
then coat all the wounds (the scion tips, the cut face and split
sides of the rootstock)with either grafting wax or doc farwells
yellow latex.  i've used plumber's putty in a pinch to pack around
the wounds too, and that was a good success.
the inner tube has to be removed after a couple months as it will
girdle or even just be so tight that sap doesn't flow well into the
scions.  i like it though since it's cheap, strong, and really
stretchy.  and you can cut it to the size you need.

i should say though, i've moved away from doing cleft grafts on big
trunks, and been happier doing 3-4 rind/bark grafts around the trunk
perimeter that don't involve a big wound into the wood of the rootstock.

karen tillou
oregon city, OR - zone 8a and wet