[NAFEX] Stoneless plums

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Aug 18 18:40:35 EDT 2008

	The original tree of this was found by Dr. Maxine Thompson at the farm
of the late Clarence Aspinwall just north of Salem, Oregon in the
1960's   Mr. Aspinwall had found the tree on it's own roots in a fence
row and planted it in his orchard in the midst of several other
European plums which he grew for sale at his fruit stand.  As near as I
can tell, the plum seems to be the same as "Miracle" which Burbank sold
to the old Oregon Nursery Company.   I made crosses of sweet pit
apricots on the stoneless plum trying to get a stoneless plumcot with
an edible kernel.  Some of the crosse succeeded, but the seedlings were
so weak they died before they could be planted out.   As a control I
grew open pollinated seed, which was the source of the seedlings I
still have.
	While Mr. Aspinwall's son still has the farm and grows fruit,  the old
stoneless tree died some years ago.  The selection was sent to the
Germplasm Repository at Davis and I THINK they still have it.  CRFG
member Lee Read got some from me and I think he has an own rooted tree.

Anyway, the fruit is more like a Damson than a European type, but it's
not unpleasant to eat, just not spectacular.  It's about the size of a
jumbo olive.  It can be highly productive, but it's erratic to some
degree here.  Since many of the fruits have only a shriveled kernel
skin, they probably don't have enough cyanide to hurt, though the
gritty stone material could poke your mouth.  If you cooked the whole
fruit, you'd want to sieve it to remove the grit.

-Lon Rombough

"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :