[NAFEX] Stoneless plums

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Aug 18 18:23:40 EDT 2008

These should be considered ONLY for breeding.  They are small and tend
to have stoney material in the seed cavity.  This year, there was more
stoney material  than usual, with some fruits having almost a half
stone on them.  The material is worse than a stone because it's in bits
that are harder to remove.
In any case, they don't come true.  I planted over 30 seedlings many
years ago and only two had the stoneless trait.  Also, a lot of them
were sterile runts that never bore, even though I left them in for over
25 years.
The old books on Luther Burbank show plums that had totally empty seed
cavities, though those selections weren't released.  By that, it
appears that it should be possible to use this material to breed
completely stoneless and seedless plums, but no one has done it and I
haven't time to work with them any more.  I thought that a serious
breeder might be able to sort out something useful from seedlings as I
have the original tree growing next to one of it's best seedlings.
There might be offspring with the totally seedless trait, in that case.
	But PLEASE don't request these seeds unless you are serious about it.
I can send scions for those who want just to try a stoneless plum.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :