[NAFEX] Apple juice? Apple cider?

C. Waite Maclin waite8 at gwi.net
Fri Aug 15 06:01:22 EDT 2008

Here is a good definition. There is sweet apple cider which is
pressed but not filtered. There is hard cider which not pasteurized
and os fermented. Here is a nice description. Regards, Waite

SLASHFOOD
RECIPES
WEB

Cloudy, sweet apple "cider" is better for you than filtered apple juice
Posted Apr 3rd 2007 8:11AM by Jonathan M. Forester
Filed under: Juice, Fruit, Did you know?, Health & Medical

Although I've always felt this way, it is nice to be vindicated. That
lovely, thick, cloudy apple "cider" that you see in your farmers
market or supermarket in the fall is way better for you than the
clear, filtered apple juice.

Researchers have found that the cloudy cider has much more
antioxidants than clear apple juice. Just as you would think, when
the cloudy apple juice is filtered all the good stuff gets stripped
right out, along with much of the tart and tangy flavor. Sure the
clear juice looks nicer, and has a much longer shelf life, but the
health benefits are much less.

The cloudy juice has up to four times the levels of polyphenols, a
group of antioxidant plant compounds and in experiments the cloudy
juice was the more effective free radical scavenger. The research
even looked at juice made from several varieties of apples and found
that some have even more health benefits than others. Of course the
old adage of an apple a day keeps the doctor away still stands. If
you want to most vitamins, antioxidants, polyphenols, etc. then just
eat a nice fresh whole apple.

On just a side note. What most of the US calls cider, that nice
cloudy fresh squeezed apple juice, is more properly called sweet
cider. Cider, also called hard cider, is the alcoholic, fermented juice.

On Aug 14, 2008, at 12:24 PM, jas39a at earthlink.net wrote:

> You are both wrong.  Cider is fermented apple juice.  Any apple
> juice that is not fermented into an alcoholic beverage, is just
> juice, whether filtered or not.
>
> Eddie Earles

C. Waite Maclin, Owner
Pastor Chuck Orchards