[NAFEX] Nuts in Georgia

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Aug 8 10:46:20 EDT 2008

Jerry,
The folks at Auburn University(my alma mater) have done some work
with chestnuts - several that they've released to the public are
selections that have been made for chestnut gall wasp
resistance.  They also have a fairly extensive pecan program - Bill
Goff heads that one - and have done quite a bit of breeding in the
fruit area, with a number of plums coming out of Joe Norton's AU
breeding program.

Folks at U of TN-Knoxville - Scott Schlarbaum, in particular - have
had some ongoing work with both American chestnut and
butternut.  Here's his webpage:
http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/personnel/schlarbaum.htm

Lucky