[NAFEX] Plum Question

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 11:15:17 EDT 2008

Richard,

I think you misunderstood the earlier post about wild vs. domesticated plums.  Technically, there is actually MORE genetic variation in wild plants than in domesticated ones.  Quite a bit more, actually.  In most crops, domestication has caused a severe bottleneck in the germplasm leading to a rather narrow genetic base.  The main reason why seedlings from wild plants will generally be more or less like their parents and those from named cultivars are less likely to be is that the domesticated plants are highly selected and many or most of the genes are in a state of linkage disequilibrium as a result of selection and selective mating whereas those of wild plants typically are not.

Still I think it is good advice.  Plant the seed, be selective, and see what you get.  You may be pleasantly surprised.  If not the only thing you've lost is a little space and a little time.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com