[NAFEX] woodchips

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 19:08:41 EST 2007

The only problem I've ever had with fresh chips was in the vegetable garden
and others have expressed the same thing.  I've never heard of Tulip
containing any alleopathic substances but research is far from complete on
this subject and I doubt it will be any time soon.  The danger of fresh
isn't acidification but some trees do carry chemicals designed to quell the
competition.  These chemicals have generally been shown to break down in a
few months.  Eucalyptus, black walnut and redwood are on my mental list of
being in this category though I've only seen research on the juglans
species.  I am suspicious of our native cherries from anecdotal observation.

I prefer aged chips because they look and sometimes smell better but I use
what's available and hopefully free.  I never understood the big concern
about N deprivation anyway, it's a very mobile nutrient- my urine is free
and urea is inexpensive in this context.  Mulch will do more for an
establishing tree than anything I can think of and helps duplicate the
conditions of forest soil where the trees mulch themselves.