[NAFEX] Febreze nontoxic

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Nov 14 10:42:37 EST 2007

At 11:25 PM 11/13/2007, you wrote:
>Febreze is poisonous. It will kill birds, dogs, cats
>and just about anything else if used in sufficient
>concentration.

Urban/Internet myth.
There have been no confirmed cases of Febreze causing death in any
pet - bird, cat, or dog.
"Contrary to rumors circulating on the Internet alleging that Febreze
causes serious illness or death in pets, veterinary toxicology
experts at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center regard Febreze
fabric freshener products to be safe for use in households with pets.
As with any product, it is important that you always follow label
instructions for use. However, should your cat accidentally come into
contact with Febreze when it is still wet, we would not anticipate
problems beyond mild skin irritation (which can occur with any
product in animals with sensitive skin) or minor stomach upset, if it
is ingested."

However, even water will kill all the above animals - and humans - if
used in sufficient concentration.

Louis L. "Lucky" Pittman, Jr., DVM
Veterinary Pathologist/ Dept. Chairman
Murray St. Univ.-Breathitt Veterinary Ctr.
Hopkinsville, KY