[NAFEX] Acorns & grafting oaks (& persimmon)

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Thu Nov 1 14:25:58 EDT 2007

At 07:14 PM 10/31/2007, Jerry wrote:

>I never use the terminal but when grafting persimmon either. Cut if
>off! I haven't kept accurate records but remember the success rate
>using terminal buds seems to be lower. I also have started using
>just one, no more than two side buds. Too many often produce more of
>a bush than a central leader tree.

Agreed.  I usually put on a 2-bud scion, which typically grows
nicely, but in the past, when I've had some varieties in very short
supply, I've budded 1-bud pieces - which usually 'take', but often
result in a really pronounced 'dogleg' in the shape of the trunk,
which takes years to diminish in prominence.

Lucky