[NAFEX] cell phones and honeybees

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Tue Apr 17 13:43:55 EDT 2007

Because of the recent discussions about colony collapse, I thought a
number of persons on this list
This is from Grist:

Could cell phones be the culprit in honeybee disappearance?    Apiarists
in the U.S. and Europe have been scratching their heads for months over
rapidly waning honeybee populations.  Now some scientists who have
combed through the data are all abuzz with a new theory: cell phones.
In bad news to mobile-attached ears, British researchers are suggesting
that phone radiation could be disrupting bees' navigation systems.
Research has shown that bees act differently around power lines, and a
recent study found that up to 70 percent of the little stingers failed
to return to hives that contained cordless-phone docking units.  The
implications, of course, go beyond bee welfare; Albert Einstein -- if
not a bee expert, a relatively smart guy -- once said that in the
absence of the busy crop pollinators, humans "would have only four years
of life left."  Ooh, that stings.  Other theories for the bees'
departure have included mites, pesticides, global warming, and
genetically modified crops, but so far, none has been definitively
proved.
straight to the source: The Independent
<http://lists.grist.org/t?r=2&c=538&l=16&ctl=53AE:6B5B94095935C2D54C78A0
52BD89D6B4> , 15 Apr 2007
(http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/wildlife/article2449968.ece)
straight to the source: The Telegraph
<http://lists.grist.org/t?r=2&c=538&l=16&ctl=53AD:6B5B94095935C2D54C78A0
52BD89D6B4> , 16 Apr 2007
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/04/16/nbees16
.xml)
see also, in Grist: CSI: My Apiary
<http://lists.grist.org/t?r=2&c=538&l=16&ctl=53A1:6B5B94095935C2D54C78A0
52BD89D6B4>
(http://www.grist.org/news/daily/2007/02/27/3/index.html?source=daily)
discuss in Gristmill: Can you hear me now?
<http://lists.grist.org/t?r=2&c=538&l=16&ctl=537B:6B5B94095935C2D54C78A0
52BD89D6B4>
(http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/4/16/95231/1886/?source=daily)