[NAFEX] Fruit to give away

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Sun Sep 24 18:07:03 EDT 2006

Today we had over 40 gleaners at Royal Oak Farm Orchard from the
organization Gleaners for the Lord (http://www.gleanersforthelord.org/). So
far this year (2006), as their web site indicates, they have distributed
free of charge to the needy in Northern Il. over 1.3 Million pounds of food.
Last year they gleaned hundreds of bushels of apples from our orchard.  They
assist us with the cultural practice of removing our drops from the orchard
floor while at the same time are able to feed the less fortunate in northern
Illinois.

Next Sunday there will be over 100 gleaners as the regional chapters of
Gleaning for the Lord come to the orchard once again to glean our drops from
the heavy U-Pick drops we experience each week.

There are many other regional organizations that practice the concept of
gleaning all over the United States.  If there are those of you who simply
do not have time, as we do, that need or want your drops of left over fruit
picked, try one of these gleaning organizations.  You can find them by doing
a Google search for "gleaners".

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com