[NAFEX] fruit bagging

Doreen Howard gardendiva at charter.net
Mon Sep 19 20:27:44 EDT 2005

All the reports of apple bagging success are encouraging.  I bagged the one
apple set on my Pixie Crunch tree (second season in the ground) and
harvested it in perfect shape, with excellent red color.  I used clear
zipper bags. I look forward to next season when three other apple trees
should flower and Pixie Crunch will set more fruit.  I did only the dormant
oil and neem seed oil sprays at appropriate times and have no disease
problems so far.

You all have been great mentors to my first apple growing attempts, and the
bagging info is the best.

We ate the one apple yesterday, with great ceremony.  Pixie Crunch was
crisper and juicier than Honeycrisp, which we sampled along with it.  The
flavor is different than Honeycrisp--more pronounced, less sweet, but
complex.  Thanks, Ed for recommending such a great apple. The Howards will
be eating those apples for generations, hopefully!
Doreen Howard