[NAFEX] Grafted Pine Trees

Charles Rhora rhoras at nuttrees.com
Mon Sep 12 13:09:39 EDT 2005

Mr. Romborough,

I read with great interest your question about the grafted Pinus trees.  Do
they have too be grafted trees?  I ask this question because I have worked
with these edible nut pines for now over 30  years.  We have a selection of
over 11 varieties including one variety you had mentioned (Pinus
edulis).  Unfortunately the other variety Pinus pinea will not survive in
our Zone 4 (temperatures to minus - 35 degrees F.) At the present time we
are exploring the northern limits of the Pinus pinea in hope of obtaining
seed which would be adaptable to our climate.   We originally started with
seed collected from Sweden, Russia, Siberia, Mongolia, China and Northern
Japan.  We also tried some grafted varieties of the pines.  Much to our
dismay we found as time went along, the grafted trees showed
incomparability in some cases, then the production of cones were delayed by
several years.  Also the grafted trees cones were mostly blank nuts.  So we
discarded the grafted trees and have since devoted all of our time to the
seedlings.  We found that the Korean pine would produce cones as early as 7
years from seed ( we started with the Korean pine first).  The other edible
nut pines have shown that they will bear cones much earlier than reported
in some of the books and articles written on the pines.  For example, the
Swiss stone pine will bear cones by the age of 8 years from seed. Of the
trees producing cones and the edible nuts, we have not had any problem with
the squirrels or other animals bothering them as the cones produce an
abundance of resin which locks the nuts into the cones.  85 percent of the
cones fall to the ground for harvesting.  Once the cones are gathered they
are air dried for 2 weeks and the cones open allowing one easy access to
the pine nuts.  As an added precaution we planted a grove of hazelnuts
close to our orchards.
For further information, please refer to our website at www.nuttrees.com.

Charles Rhora, Zone 4, Ontario