[NAFEX] Grafted Pine Trees

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Sep 11 12:00:26 EDT 2005

Thank you.  Also, fwiw, the NNGA website is now
http://www.icserv.com/nnga/
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
On Sep 11, 2005, at 7:16 AM, charles paradise wrote:

Lon,
Perhaps you're thinking of the old Hess' Nursery in New Jersey?   Among
their greenhouse-grafted specialties was a selection of Pinus Koreansis
[sp?].  I never asked the owner what the selection was for, it was as
likely ornamental as it was for nuts.

I find the following info on Hess on the internet
Hess Nurseries. PO Box 326. Cedarville, NJ 08311. (Phone) 609-447-4213
but I don't know if the info is valid, the proprieter had a terminal
condition 10 years or more ago and who knows if the Koreansis grafts
are still made.  Another thought would be to check nnga.com as there
are northern nut growers interested in pine nuts, I don't know if any
graft.

I've thought of grafting pines for nuts myself, it would be another
multi-year project if I did and I've got opportunity but don't know if
I have motive!

Got a new t-shirt yesterday it reads:
"How do you follow your dreams when your life is a nightmare!"

Charlie Paradise, z5 Massachusetts

"Lon J. Rombough" wrote:

> Does anyone know of a source of grafted trees of Pinus edulis or P.
> pinea, the two pine species grown for pine nuts? I've seen them in the
> past, but it has been years and I can't find the nursery that sold
> them. I suspect there may be small, local nurseries somewhere, but a
> mail order source would be the best.
> Seed is available of both species, but both take so long to come into
> bearing that a tree grafted from an old, bearing tree would have to be
> faster.
> -Lon Rombough
> Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at
> http://www.bunchgrapes.com Winner of the Garden Writers Association
> "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.

> Message archives are here:

All other messages are discarded.
No exceptions.
used to change other email options):