[NAFEX] pear seed germination

Luffman, Margie luffmanm at AGR.GC.CA
Mon May 30 10:06:47 EDT 2005

Hello. This is the procedure which we have used successfully for germinating both apple and pear seeds.

Guidelines for Malus Seed Germination

1)  Wash and disinfect all containers to be used for chilling or
germination and disinfect the working surface on which the seeds are handled.

2)  Soak individual seed lots in separate containers, for a minimum of 24
hours to a maximum of 48 hours in regular tap water.  Start the soak in
the a.m.; Change the water every 2-3 hours to remove any possible growth
inhibitors. You will not need to change water for the overnight
soak.  Label containers with appropriate identification and handle
carefully to avoid misidentification.

3)  Distribute seed evenly on saturated but not dripping wet blotter paper
or paper towels, shake off any excess water.  Place germination containers
in the dark at 1.5oC (34oF) (regular kitchen refrigerator works fine at
38F to 42F) for a minimum of 90 days.  Check on seeds once a week,
changing paper every two weeks.

4)  As needed, surface disinfect each seed lot in 10% chlorox (bleach)for two minutes, followed by a thorough rinse in running tap water.  After 60 or
more days, the radicle (white root that starts to emerge from the base of
the seed) begins to emerge; then discontinue the use of all surface
disinfectants so as not to burn the root-tip.

5)  Therefore after about 60-110 days of chilling as you see a few of the
seeds in each seed lot showing radicles, place seeds at 10oC (50oF) (or
cool room ~ 60oF is fine) for 2-5 days to promote full germination of the
seed lot.   If some of the seed still appears viable continue to hold the
seed at 10C (50F) until you see radicle emerge and then plant.

6)  When radicles have emerged, carefully plant pre-germinated seed in 4"
plastic pots with Cornell mix (commercial potting mix).  When planting the
seeds with the white radicles, take extra care in not damaging the young
radicle (1st root) tip.  Grow seedling to 6-7 true leaves and transplant
to nursery.

Margie Luffman
Curator/Conservatrice
Canadian Clonal Genebank/Banque canadienne de Clones
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada/Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada
Telephone/Téléphone: 519-738-2251 ext. 474
Facsimile/Télécopieur: 519-738-2929
2585 County Road 20
Harrow, Ontario
N0R 1G0
luffmanm at agr.gc.ca

 Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada - Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada