[NAFEX] Disease Question

Jim Fruth jfruth at uslink.net
Fri Jun 17 08:10:23 EDT 2005

   In both apricot and maple, I have seen patches of, intact, dry bark on
the trunk.  Under it, the inner bark is gone appearing about the same as if
a rodent had chewed there, sometimes girdling the tree, sometimes not, and
usually in about a one inch wide swathe.  Before discovering this inner
damage, there appears to be no hint of a critter having burrowed into the
tree except for the dry appearance of the outer bark and I've not found a
critter beneath.  Has anyone else seen this?  Or know what it could be?
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm