[NAFEX] After 2,000 Years, a Seed From Ancient Judea Sprouts

Charles Paradise machelp at attglobal.net
Mon Jun 13 16:06:03 EDT 2005

Be warned that gibberellic acid does not come always with easy-to-read consumer instructions.   I wasted $40 on a bottle of it 15years ago that even after a call to the manufacturer left me confused.  Do not assume that just because you place an order for gibberellic that you will immediately easily put it to use.

John Harrington of Texas wrote in Pomona a superb article on seed germination.  Before resorting to laboratory techniques to achieve germination, run a checklist of seed germination basics like:
1]  how many different sources for each species have I tried?
2]  Did I keep the seeds moist/not let them dry out?
3]  Did I try both autumn and spring sowing?
The answer for 1] should be multiple sources, like 5;  2] most fruit + nut species get better germination kept moist and never drying 3] both autumn and spring sowing have their advantages.  Sometimes one works, sometimes the others.

Remember, simple is better.  Work on the basics and save lots of different seeds before plunging into special techniques.  Cover your bases.   Also remember, though some beginner's luck occurs, seed germination is another horticultural propagation technique that gets better with practice - and its a technique much under-discussed in NAFEX.
Charlie Paradise, Massachusetts