[NAFEX] Stonefruit rootstock replies!

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Tue Jun 7 02:31:39 EDT 2005

Thank you everyone for your input! A few updates to info I recieved:
Lawyers Nursery no longer carries any odd Siberian or Chinese cold hardy peach
rootstock. They said the would grow 5000 and sell 500. No market.

Nemagaurd, Citation, Myrobalan, Lovell, Halford, Bailey and a few others have
either been grown by myself or friends and the survival rates and winter damage did
not encourage budding as a profitable venture. Myself and others are looking at a
consistent performer for Maine Peach nursery production.

Meadowlake nursery sells already green and growing peach rootstock in 2" plugs (I
think that is the size) in the Spring. Sounds Promising? Cheap too actually.

I ran across a Seed Saver who was offering some Peach pits/wood from a Peach he
recieved from a friend grafted onto rose roots. The tree then self-rooted. Does
anyone have any experience with this? I never would have thought rose....
Lon Rombough replied that grafting eventually incompatible rootstocks to a scion
and planting deeply or using nursery production techniques to self-root worked on a
number of species. Thank you Lon for the reexplanation when I got it wrong. I have
recently been looking at the technique of grafting the scion onto an upside down
oriented rootstock as a way of encouraging self rooting. Does anyone have any info
on the success of such a technique? I think it goes by another name, but I will use
inverted seedling nurse graft as a starting place.
I apologise for the delayed Thanks!
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine