[NAFEX] Sour cherry ripening

derry and bill wchase at interchange.ubc.ca
Fri Jun 3 12:03:48 EDT 2005

Rodney,

I understand that if the sour cherry is coming off without the pit, then you are
picking it too early.

I was trying to figure out if my Montmorency sour cherries were ripe one year and
I asked a
sour cherry orchardist and this is what she told me.

It is interesting that the robins don't seem to eat my sour cherries. There must
be some other fruit ripe at the same time which the robins prefer. Actually no
birds eat my sour cherries which makes it a better fruit to grow than sweet
cherries.

Derry
zone 7/8 south coastal B.C.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Derry Walsh & Bill Chase
wchase at interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove,  B. C.,  Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
Home web pages: http://derrysorchardandnursery.ca
:
: I forgot to mention that Stanley picks very cleanly from the tree and
: tart cherries don't. The cherries often leave the pit still on the
: stem with the now empty cherry bleeding it's precious body fluids on
: your hands and clothing.