[NAFEX] Tolman Sweet apple

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 11 17:56:29 EST 2005

Yes sweet, but more like good honey than a candy or soda.  Texture is not so
crisp as many people like.  It also has a rougher skin-- but not russetted--
which can be points against on taste-tests.  I have 2 trees probably Tolman;
one had a more complex 'gourmet' flavor but didn't keep as well as the other
which isn't quite as rich a flavor.  And this 2nd one is getting sweeter in
storage.

Both my Tolmans have good branch angles naturally, and have better disease
resisitance than average.  Bore w/o supplimental irrigation in a drought
year (Antanovka on light soil w/ silt subsoil.)

Try before you plant a tree, and store some a while, but if you grow a tree
it will be in the 'grower friendly' group.  (Intervention required for
decent fruit, but not tree health.)

tc, z 4/5, s.WI