[NAFEX] Grafting Questions

David Consolvo fruitopia at nexet.net
Tue May 18 19:10:19 EDT 2004

I agree.  I find that if I pinch off the rootstock leaves, it encourages the
buds of the graft to evenutally leaf out.  I have found that when I don't
pinch off of the rootstock leaves, the scion wood dies more often.  Out of
13 pear grafts this year, several grafts leafed out in a couple of weeks,
several more leafed out within four weeks, and about three have taken 5-6
weeks.  One has still not leafed out, and now I am loathe to keep pinching
off the rootstock's leaves, for fear of killing it.

David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia