[NAFEX] Re: Successful Grafts?

Tom Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Tue Mar 30 18:18:19 EST 2004

Hello,

A pear will survive on apple rootstock.  The question is how
long will it survive.

Apples and pears are in the same family.  However, given
time the rootstock will reject the scion.  It could take
years depending on overall incompatibility.

My great grandmother grafted a pear branch onto an apple
tree and ate many a pear from it, but it did not last too
many years.

Later,
Tom

Jason E Haynes wrote:

> Hi.  I am new to grafting apple trees and have done close
> to 80 this year by whip and tongue.  I have already set
> the trees out and most all of them have sprouted and have
> grown about ½”.  Does this mean the graft has taken?  The
> reason for my question is I had 3 pear scions get mixed in
> with the apples and so I accidentally grafted the pears on
> M111 rootstock.  They too have sprouted!  So this has me
> wondering if the grafts have taken or if the scion wood
> itself is supporting the growth thus far?  I am in NE
> Alabama zone 7.  Thanks in advance for any help!!!

> (also can be used to change other email options):

> Message archives are here:

Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada
Hardiness Zone 5b