[NAFEX] Mockernut Hickory questions

Richard O'Barr aatopgunaa at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 17 19:51:52 EST 2004

Martha:
       Hickory and pecan are similar. If you can get 24 inches of the tap
root, it should live; cut back 50%. Fertility is probably like pecan in that
male and female flowers are probably produced but the timing may be off, so
another hickory type might be in order. Also, there is some polyploidy in
hickory. Maybe you might consider a Hican instead. It is the hickory/pecan
cross  and would be somewhat easier to shell.
                                                                 Topgun
                                                                 Zone 7