[NAFEX] pear cider?

Charles Paradise machelp at attglobal.net
Mon Apr 5 12:33:48 EDT 2004

Growing up in New England these terms are the facts as I know them:

Cider = Brown juice of apples
Apple Juice = clear juice of apples, like out of a centrifugal juicer made at home
Hard Cider = fermented brown juice of apples, almost clear.
                            started with yeast or no additives at all.
                            Lasts only a day once ready, or a week in refrigerator
Perry = squeeze pressed juice of pears
Pear wine = clear wine gotten after Perry ferments.  Dry white wine.
                    Best use for a juice pear I have here.
Pasteurized Cider = worthless sold in plastic gallon jugs at supermarkets
Pasteurized Apple Juice = Preserved sold in glass containers at supermarkets.  To be drunk only if desperate.

I know of no "hard Perry" because here when we ferment our juice pear it doesn't make a product equivalent to
"Hard Cider", it makes a clear white wine [of excellent quality by the way and much superior to commericial
grape wines, 4 out of 5 bottles of which from the store are best used by pouring down the sink].

Charlie Paradise
zone 5 / Massachusetts