[NAFEX] Plum questions...

Sam Franc franc at oregonfast.net
Mon Jun 16 12:42:31 EDT 2003

Gene Spears wrote:

>	I'm getting pretty frustrated in my plum-growing efforts here in
>western NC (zone 6).  My Red Heart has flowered the past 3 years, but nary a
>plum.  Late frosts are the big problem (like most of us on the east coast, I
>suspect).  My Riene Claude D'Oullins is about 8 years old and hasn't yet
>flowered. Are the Europeans slow to mature?  Are European plums generally
>later blooming than Japanese or hybrids?  Any recommended varieties for east
>coast climate that typically experiences late freezes?
>
>thanks in advance,
>
>gene

You are not alone.
Here on the Oregon coast it is not frost but the cool rain.
It is too cool for the bees to come out .
And the rain keeps coming down all the time and I gues it washes the
pollen away.
Anyway there is very little plum set.
A little later as it warms up the apples and pears will get polinized.
But even they did not over set this year.
Sam