[nafex] I need some thoughts

Lucky Pittman Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu
Tue May 22 11:41:00 EDT 2001

At 11:18 AM 05/22/2001 -0400, Gianni wrote:
>Red cedar will grow to 8 ft from a seedling in as little as 3 to 4 yrs
>depending on conditions.
Yes, but this 8 ft seedling will have a piece of red heartwood about the
size of a pencil lead, the rest being white softwood that'll rot away about
as quickly as untreated white pine.  Plus, an open-grown redcedar 8 ft tall
will have limbs from ground level up.

I cut some good, tall redcedars out of my hardwood forest this spring, when
I was stringing a mile or so of new HT fence - most were 75+ yrs old, based
on counts of growth rings - got 2 or 3 good, clear 8 ft 'king' posts, with
lots of rot-resistant heartwood, before I got into any significant branches.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY