[nafex] Apple grinder

Mark Garrison pawpaw1 at home.com
Sun Jun 25 13:35:13 EDT 2000

I bought an antique hand cranked cider mill at auction, but grinder ground too coarsely so I turned to a disposal installed in an old table.  Works beautifully but overheats and cuts off if pushed too hard.  I fashioned a heat dissipator using strips of aluminum foil taped around disposal body which helped.  Run the pomace into a five gallon bucket which I then pour into a bag inside the pressing tub on the old mill.  We've used nylon bags (available from local paint store or from beekeepers supply catalog) but bags sewed up from muslin work better.

Mark Garrison