[nafex] Granny Smith apple

dwalsh/wchase wchase at interchange.ubc.ca
Sun Dec 10 22:40:26 EST 2000

According to Morgan and Richards The Book of Apples: A Mrs Smith, born in England in 1800, emigrated to Australia in 1838. In 1860s she found some seedlings growing in a creek where she had tipped out some apples brought back from Sydney. Tree was propagated and later family increased their orchards and marketed fruit in Sydney.  Apples exported from Sydney to Britain in 1930s       (There is no mention of Bramley's Seedling being involved.  Bramley's and Granny Smith look and taste very different).

According to Martin Crawford's Directory of Apple Cultivars:  Reine des Pommes is a cider (bittersweet) apple from Brittany, blooms early, pick in November, greenish-yellow flushed dark red, moderate vigour, good cropper, no parentage given.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase  email:wchase at interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove,  B. C.,  Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316