[Market-farming] Pricing Paw Paws

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Thu Sep 24 09:00:08 EDT 2015

At one market we are as low as 5/lbs because we are in the flush of the season and there are four more farms selling them.  We wholesale as low as 6/lb.  I and a friend have developed a fairly efficient way to pulp pawpaws and sell for 10/lbs then.  That said that price is pretty high still.  There is an outfit in Athen, Ohio that does a really good job industrializing the process and taking advantage of a fairly depressed/small market demand there and sells pull for as low as 4.50/lbs

Some numbers to play around with.

This year has been a flush year.  We are over 300# wild foraged primarily just on our farm.

Going to take a stab at some wine and vinegar from them as well.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855