[Market-farming] When to plow under cowpeas as a cover crop

garlicgrower at green-logic.com garlicgrower at green-logic.com
Sun Jun 8 18:09:21 EDT 2014

Hi, Folks!

I'm doing cowpeas as cover crop before garlic because the soil needs the
nitrogen and the extension agent said the cowpeas would be more
drought-resistant than soybeans.

I'm not seeing a lot written about cowpeas as a cover crop.  When should I
plow them under to keep them from re-seeding in my garlic?  At flowering?
When the cowpeas are in the pod, but green?  Or can I just let the cowpeas
mature because the winter will kill the seed anyway?

Thanks for the input.  My location is below, if that helps.

Dorene Pasekoff

Hill Creek Farm

Pottstown, PA 19465

USDA Zone 6