[Market-farming] Starting Onions in ground

Beth Spaugh lists at rhomestead.com
Thu Jan 3 23:10:13 EST 2013

Yup. In fact, last year, not fall before last I decided to start onion seeds
in the ground to overwinter for early production.  Had had some downy mildew
at the top of the field, but seeded these at the bottom of the hill.  They
looked great, but by early June I had downy mildew again.  Not overwintering
any above-ground onions (am doing garlic) this winter.  We have a lot of
purple blotch, and who know what else.  Thrips, which cause entry for
disease.  I still get lots of good, storable onions though.  We also now
have leek moth, so am considering growing all onions/leeks under row cover
this year.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

Wendell Berry