[Market-farming] Home and farm insurance recommendations?

Beth Spaugh lists at rhomestead.com
Fri Feb 1 20:21:40 EST 2013

In New York, Farm Family and Nationwide.  I think Erie Niagara also, but
they are reputed to be more picky about what the place looks like.  We have
farm/home property and liability, umbrella liability, and vehicle though
them (and they know the vehicles are used commercially).  One of the first
things I did when starting to farm was switch auto insurance to Farm Family
for business use coverage.

Am looking into forming an LLC, and actually have been advised to form two:
one for things that happen on the farm (equipment, CSA visitors, farmstand
visitors) and one for things that happen off the farm - vehicles, farmers
market, off farm CSA.  If I remember the explanation correctly, with just
the one, someone could go after our retirement assets, but if we have a
multi-person (put daughter on as 1%), with the property and house in that
one, it would protect that.  Of course, that means paying to set up two LLCs
rather than the one, and going from none to two. But, I have retirement
assets from previous worklife to protect, and the property/house is paid for
so is an asset.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

Wendell Berry