[Market-farming] propane instead of acetylene

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Thu Sep 20 21:20:07 EDT 2012

Never really needed to bend it.  If I need to bend it I do it cold on my buddy's roller or break.  I personally do not like bends using heat and a torch because they are usually weak and break.  That may be my own skill or lack of engineering talent.

I am more likely to use a small hand held propane torch to heat up metal that is "stuck" say a bolt or locked bearing or something.  They usually do the trick.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I bent metal.  Everything is in straight lines.  Anything that is "bent" is a tension device and creating one involves more than a little heat and bending and usually easier to simply purchase (like s and c tines for a cultivator).

I know that may sound silly but I am trying to think really hard about what we have constructed and the only metal I have bent was EMT for quick hoops or actually wiring in the barn. :)  We made a really nice simple chair frame to bolt on wood bottom and backs for the person who rides the potato planter.  All straight and angle weld, no bends or curves.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855