[Market-farming] carrot storage through winter? sand question

Vern and Amy vaspencer at sisna.com
Sun Nov 11 09:36:13 EST 2012

All the commercial growers that I know wash their carrots as they come
out of the field and put them in perforated plastic bags.  One put up
300 ton/year.  He tries to get them to 34 degrees and keep them there.
I think 40 degrees would do pretty well for a while.  Even our friend
Brandon left the sand idea and went to plastic.  He is actually the one
that turned me on to that method.  If dirt/sand stays on the carrots for
a while, it can stain and cause off flavors.

 I need to go wash mine now that I got them out before they froze in the
ground or the deer ate them.  I don't know if I can get all the dirt out
of the wrinkles once it dries there.

Vern