[Market-farming] Insect Pressure

Barking Cat Farm barkingcatfarm at mindspring.com
Wed May 30 10:54:23 EDT 2012

On May 29, 2012, at 5:29 PM, <clearviewfarm at bluefrog.com> wrote:

> I certainly see plenty of wasps in my greenhouse, though.  Is there a preferred OMRI approved control or just knock ' em down at night?

Unless they are posing a threat to us working nearby, we leave the wasps alone, as many varieties help with caterpillar and other pest control. If they are posing a stinging threat to humans, we just wait till dusk and knock down the nest. The exception here are yelliwjackets, which are very aggressive. Only OMRI approved control that I know of other than knocking the nest down (which is dicey with them due to their temperament) is to have a licensed exterminator remove them with a vacuum. In our case, we hired a beekeeper after one of our workers found them nesting in our rosemary bush.

The paper wasps, potter wasps, great golden digger wasps, and red wasps just ignore us.

Good luck,
Laurie