[Market-farming] Surviving the June 29 Derecho

Lucy Owsley boulderbelt at embarqmail.com
Sun Jul 15 04:33:14 EDT 2012

we had zero damage but did get almost an inch of rain from that storm (and
a marvelous cool down-in a matter of minutes we went from 104F to 65F). But
we were about 50 miles from the beginning of the storm so the winds were at
best 65mph for maybe 3 minutes than dropped to 40 mph for maybe 1/2 hour
while it rained heavily. The only thing we had happen was all of our row
covers we had not already removed came flying off and 2 were ripped to
shreds on a fence But it did quickly gain strength and by the time it hit
Dayton, OH (about 10 minutes later) it was full strength and doing a lot of
damage and injuring a lot of people.

This storm really reminded me of a tsunami of wind rolling for hundreds of
miles. It was a really strange storm.

--
Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm