[Market-farming] Bush Beans on Black Plastic Mulch

Shoemaker, William H wshoemak at illinois.edu
Fri Jul 13 08:45:52 EDT 2012

Allan

What I meant was that the same resources for fertility, sunlight and moisture will be available. The plants will be opportunistic and will find those resources. The hill system for beans works just fine but was replaced by rows due more to mechanization than anything else. So using the hill system in plastic mulch is not a compromise. In fact, the mulch enhances the system. The beans should grow very well in a system that plants 3 seeds every 12".

Bill
William H. Shoemaker
University of Illinois, Crop Sciences
St Charles Horticulture Research Center