[Market-farming] Bush Beans on Black Plastic Mulch

Allan Balliett allan.balliett at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 11:56:48 EDT 2012

I was just getting ready to put some of Johnny's"Jumbo" bush beans on
black plastic with drip irrigation.

I'm getting mixed information on how to do this.

Johnny's is telling me to put the plants every two inches (1 seed)
(this is from a consultation phone call). University recommendations
have been for 3 plants spaced 12 inches in the rows (rows 15 inches
apart)

the 3 inches apart seems so TEDIOUS for planting and 3 plants a whole
(no thinning recommended) seems like it's won't work.

I'm wondering what's worked for folks on this list.

Also, my last planting of beans has been hit pretty hard by bean
beetles, inspite of weekly spraying with pyrethreum  I'm wondering if
anyone is having luck controlling bean beetles (for example: is that
bean beetle bT still off the market?)

Thanks

_Allan in WV where the heatwave is coming back next wk