[Market-farming] marketing dry beans

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Tue Jan 10 12:26:51 EST 2012

The other food safety issue is with how they are prepared (or not) prior to
 consumption.  The vast majority of fresh produce is eaten fresh, ie, you
don't cook a salad to 180F before eating it.  So any bugs on it (macro bugs
or microorganisms) are intact and alive at time of consumption.  But dried
beans are categorically cooked prior to consumption, unless there's a new
fashionable recipe for rock-hard raw pintos out there.  Since it's  cooked
immediately prior to consumption, the food safety concerns are a lot
different than other veggie material, even grown side-by-side.  That might  explain
why you haven't found much written material on food safety of dry  beans.
It's not even really on the radar as a threat.

Richard - I read your comments about the need to harvest large quantities
efficiently, and having a good way to clean them, before making a profitable
go  at it.  We are already mulling the idea of (don't laugh) buying an
All-Crop  harvester because we want to do small grains.  To date that seems one
of  the more cost-effective pieces of machinery for that purpose, given our
field  sizes, tractors and crop mix.  Adding dried beans to the All-Crop's
to-do  list would seem to spread around the implement cost even further,
while opening  up a new product market for us.  Do you concur?  We wouldn't be
going  with such an old machine except for two things - first, we can count
the number  of newer combines in this county on one hand, and they don't
leave home (ie,  they are not available for contract harvesting jobs).  And
second, we  already know we want to harvest field peas and sunflowers for our
own livestock  fodder purposes, both of which are typically beyond the
capacity of a standard  combine.  Would the All Crop meet your definition of
"efficient harvesting"  equipment?  Anyone else with AllCrop experience, I'd love
to hear from you  before we spend money.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html

In a message dated 1/10/2012 7:06:28 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,