[Market-farming] Raspberry pests-- Drosophila

Marlin Burkholder burkholders at glenecofarm.com
Fri Aug 24 00:24:22 EDT 2012

Some of the larva/maggots did hatch out into little flies with red heads.

As you can read from the forwarded message below, I know who to share our
berry pest problem with now.
If you are interested in the research, contact Ted Rogers.

Greetings folks,

As you know Anne Nielsen, now at Rutgers, and the team of scientists and
farmers who were funded under OREI   are functional and at work on BMSB.  I
suppose it is only to be expected that another invasive pest (this one
better known) would emerge here on the east coast.  We are receiving
indications that the Spotted Wing
Drosophila (SWD) a pest that has been causing problems on the West Coast is
an emerging pest here in the East.  It has also been causing problems in
Michigan for the last few years.  My first contact was with Matt Grieshop at
Michigan State.  He agreed that we should get some of you together to talk
about this little vinegar fly (looks like a fruit fly to me) and its
implications to Organic production.

SWD can be devastating on blueberries, strawberries, cane-berries, grapes,
peaches and plums.  It does not seem to be a problem in pome fruit.
Fortunately Spinosad is effective against the little bugger.  Unfortunately
Spinosad can cause ecosystem problems, usually manifest in secondary pests
emerging as problems.

Matt is going to lead the technical side, we will set up conference calls
over the next month to discuss how we need to organize.  Let me know if you
want to be dropped from this list.  I¹m attaching a picture of SWD and a pdf
of an Oregon State flier on damage to some of the soft fruits.

As usual if you know of anyone who should know about our work please pass
this email along.  I need phone number and email address to put you on the
list.

I look forward talking to you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or comments.

Best,
Ted Rogers
Biologist, Senior Policy Analyst
USDA Office of Pest Management Policy