[Market-farming] root digger implement options

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Sun Aug 19 23:00:12 EDT 2012

We use a chain digger which would work with just about any round , oval or bulky tear drop shaped root crop.  Our digger came from Willsie Equipmentn (Canadian) as did our single row planter.

I am curious about the trade off of foraged or easily chopped forage feed, moist or dry, vs intense root cropping as a feed source.  I'd just like to know more because I am curious, not doubting.  I am not too sure I can harvest enough root crop cheap enough to feed it to animals when I can rotate pasture and bale mix hay.  You could plant and not harvest and then turn them out into pasture.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855