[Market-farming] Planet Jr. brush & thinning

Mike Brabo mdbrabo at att.net
Fri Mar 4 13:32:21 EST 2011

Kurt,
We're running a gang of 5 Planet Jr's mounted on the belly of an Allis Chalmers G.  1st gear and 3/4 throttle alleviates any thinning for lettuce.  At that rate for carrots it is minimal thinning  Translated, we cover a 200' row in about 45 seconds.  Took quite a bit of trial & error to get it right.

For a single Planet Jr being pushed will be a challenge to get seeding rates accurate.  Suggest adding sand to the seeds in various ratios and see what works best.  After using sand in a planter always use a compressor to blow out any remaining sand to alleviate wear on the bushings and other parts.
Regards,
Mike
Vesterbrook Farm - Certified Naturally Grown
Clarksville, Missouri - Mississippi River Bluffs, Zone 6