[Market-farming] compact flourescents for plant starting

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at outlands.ca
Wed Mar 2 10:13:34 EST 2011

A tad off-topic, but I did a bit of research on the topic of lightning
for growing seedlings.  In the end, I am going to go with metal-halyde
(MH) instead of fluorescent.  Even at a small scale, it end up being
cheaper than fluorescent.  I contacted a local store specialized in
indoor gardening, and I can get a 1000W MH system for around 250$.  To
get the equivalent in fluorescent would cost me upward of 300$ in
fixture and tube, and end up being quite unwieldly to setup.  The light
temperature for growing vegetable seedlings will also be much better
using a 6400K MH bulb then using cool white fluorescent at 4000K.

Another option I considered was high-intensity CFL.  Amazon has them
pretty cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-FLC125D-125-Watt-Daylight-Fluorescent/dp/B000HHLQ04/ref=pd_sim_ol_31

Note that I am growing at a market scale for the first time this year,
so I have no experience yet.  The above info is just based on my
research so far.