[Market-farming] Federal Department of Labor stopped by to look around...

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Tue Jun 14 09:13:36 EDT 2011

I seem to recall reading something within the last year, where WA state has
 decided that regular farm volunteering is a distinct no-no.  People  doing
regular, scheduled work on farms must be either students participating in
work/study, ie enrolled in a school AND the farm must show that their
program is  an active part of their curriculum, or they are considered employees
and  must be documented, paid and insured as such.  I remember thinking at
the  time that such a decision would almost by definition sink any CSA's,
WWOOFing or  other volunteer opportunities on WA farms.  But since then I
haven't  heard of any farms getting busted or fined for violating that state
decision.  I'm not sure I'd want to be out there testing it though.

We've gone back and forth on having volunteers working here, and that state
 decision was one of the things that we run up against every time.  So  far
we've just had specific work parties, no more than once/month, and kept  it
at that.  If we bring on anyone on a recurring basis, I think we're just
about to the point of calling them employees and being done with it.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html

In a message dated 6/14/2011 6:01:33 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,